Pea & Broccoli Soup
SERVES 4-6, MAKES APPROX 1.5 LITRES, OR 6 CUPFULS
1.25 litres hot water, from a recently boiled kettle
1 pure mint teabag
2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
2 fat or 4 small cloves garlic, peeled
300g frozen peas
300g fresh or frozen broccoli florets
● Pour the water into a saucepan, one that comes with a lid and that is also large enough to take all the ingredients later, then drop in the teabag, stir in the salt and leave to infuse for 5 minutes.
● Take out the mint teabag, squeezing out all its minty juices as you do so, then put the lid on the saucepan and bring the mint-water to the boil.
● Once the mint-water is boiling, add the garlic and frozen peas, and then let the pan come back to the boil with the lid on.
● Now add the broccoli and cook, this time with the pan only partially covered, for about 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is soft. You do not have to alter this procedure should you be using frozen broccoli rather than fresh.
● Let the soup cool just a little before blitzing with a stick blender until smooth, then season to taste and serve.
Cool leftovers, then cover and refrigerate within 2 hours of making. Will keep in fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding extra water if needed, until piping hot.
Cooled soup can be frozen, in an airtight container, for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in fridge and reheat as Store Note.
Recipe from Nigella Lawson’s new cookbook ‘Simply Nigella’